Data loss can occur on any device that stores data. Although any loss of data, even a simple misplacement, is by definition technically a loss, what we are primarily concerned with is the permanent loss of data that is important to your business' ongoing success.
Types of Data Loss
- Human error - accidental or unknowing data deletion, modification, overwrite
- File corruption - software error, virus infection
- Hardware - drive failure, controller failure, cpu failure
- Site-related - theft, fire, flood, earthquake, lightning, etc.
According to a report on data loss in Europe, over 6% of PCs will suffer data loss in any year - a total of 1.7 million incidents. The report identifies six main causes of loss of data:
- Hardware failure, including damage by power surge and drive failure (42%)
- Human error, including accidental deletion (31%)
- Software file corruption (13%)
- Virus-infection (7%)
- Theft, especially laptop theft, (5%)
- Hardware loss, including floods, fires, lightning, power failure (3%)